Luxury Cullen Skink
With warnings in the news last week that we are racing towards an early winter, this week we thought we would bring you a recipe to warm you back up! Cullen Skink is a classic dish, and one which we are particularly passionate about in the Hebridies. With fresh fish on our doorstep, this dish is a wonderful treat anytime of the year!
LUXURY CULLEN SKINK WITH HEBRIDEAN SEA SALT AND FRESH HERBS
500 ml fish stock
1kg mussels, cleaned
40 g butter
3 tbsps sunflower oil
1 large onion
2 leeks thinly sliced
500g potatoes peeled and cut into 1.5cm pieces
600ml full fat milk
150ml double cream
150ml cold water
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
750g undyed smoked haddock cut into 2cm pieces
1 tbsp chopped fresh herbs (eg, parsley, dill, coriander, mint, oregano)
2 tsp of Hebridean Sea Salt Flakes
Serves 4 - 6 people
- Heat 200 ml of fish stock and when boiling add the mussels. Cook for 3-4 mins. Then strain and check that all the mussels have opened and put to one side (keep the liquid for later).
- Heat the butter and oil in a pan and saute the onion for 5 mins then add the leeks and potato and saute for further 7 mins. Add the rest of the fish stock, milk and cream with 150 ml of water.
- Strain the mussels cooking liquid and add to the pan and simmer until potato is firm but cooked.
- Add the smoked haddock and simmer very gently for two mins.
- Remove all but 25 mussels from their shells and add shelled and unshelled mussels.
- Heat gently for 1min and add ground pepper and Hebridean Sea Salt together with fresh herbs.
- Serve with a knob of butter and a few extra flakes floating on the top.
If you have any recipe ideas, please get in touch or tweet us @HebSeaSalt.
Back to Latest News